Monday, September 1, 2014

How much of your past should you bring forward with you?





Was having dinner and I just felt like I had to pen this post down right after.
Not that it's super important or anything but I love it when something I've been thinking about comes to mind, and together with it comes the urge to jot it down somewhere know? :-)
although I have more important things at hand to deal with (e.g. econs case studies) but okay that'll take up my whole night later anyway hahaha. 

-

When you fall in love with someone, both your lives start to intertwine. You put special meanings to certain dates, learn to love their favourite food and colour, involve a piece of them in your passwords so they know the place they hold in your life etc., all in ways that may seem queer to others but seems so right and special to you (at that point in time, at least). 

but what happens when it ends? 
they may be physically out of your life already but what about pieces of them left in it?

Out of habit, it will seem alright to just leave most of the things as it is. Or maybe subconsciously deep down you don't really wanna "reset" the imprints they left on your life, because of whatever reasons.
& so, what happens when you fall in love again?

How much of your past should you bring forward with you?

-

Honestly I used to think it's perfectly alright to keep whatever remnants of the past with you, especially things like passcodes or whatnots. I mean if there's no more emotional attachment, it'll just be another memory that may have turned into something you're used to having around.  
The new person in your life should be understanding and compromise, that's what I thought. 
But what you expect of others you should expect of yourself right? that's the difficult part.

I realised; (when I talk about it,) it actually affects me. It's not a constant pain or anything, 
more of just like a nagging feeling. But it affects me to the extent that I can compromise on, turning a blind eye to it, pretending there isn't a significance behind. 
And this is funny considering how I felt that I would expect someone to be fine with it hahaha.
It occurred to me that regardless or not there's emotional attachment, 
by having that fragment or hint of that person still in your life would just always serve as a reminder of what they mean/meant to you. don't really know if I'm making sense but yeah. 

I mean to you, it may just be another memory, but what if it affects the person you're with currently?
is it unfair of them to want no hint of your past in your present? 

and then I came to another realisation; if your new relationship is special enough.. overtime both of you will begin to create new special moments together. Soon enough you'll find the need to put special meanings to everything that's close to your heart, all over again, 
because they mean that much to you.
Nothing changes overnight, because if it does it just means it never really was there anyway. But there's beauty in gradual change and how it comes about; slowly but surely. 
guess that's something I'm enlightened about :-)
yay I finally jotted this down HAHA till next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment